Freejazz.ca is pleased to present an archival collection of unqiue freejazz and creative improvisation recordings from many of Canada's leading contemporary jazz musicians. We hope you enjoy listening to these performances.
- Kickdrum, by Bill Jamieson. Jazz sextet performing original composition in a contemporary-freejazz idiom.
- Bret Miles quintet. Bang. Contemporary mainstream jazz with a free element.
- Untitled by Bryan Sim and a contemporary mainstream composers repertory jazz quintet.
- Supplement. Modern Jazz ballad with contemporary harmony and a spacious 'floating' feel.
- Spread the Love. Bret Miles Jazz Sextet
- Blues'. performed by the Bret Miles contemporary jazz sextet.
- Untitled Explorations. Bret Miles jazz sextet. Explorations Jazz festival
- Lappy Go Hucky. Composition by Bret Miles. Explorations 2008
- New Glory. Gospel inspired modern mainstream jazz composition by Glen Halls, peformed by Jazz Sextet.
- Robins. Creative modern jazz composition by Bill Jamieson performed by Jazz Sextet.
- Lament for Lost Love. Modern Mainstream jazz composition by Mike Gillespie.
Creative free jazz improvisation large ensemble recordings
- Contempt for swing. Braintrust improvisation collective. Toronto, 2002.
- Contempt for fun. Glen C. Halls' braintrust ensemble. Colletive ensemble free jazz improvisation. Toronto 2002.
- "No prisoners" Edmonton Creative Musician's Collective. Large ensemble Free improvisation
- Magnificent Journey. Edmonton Creative Musician's Collective Large ensemble free jazz improvisation
- Ground Bass. Large ensemble improvisation on a spontaneous theme. Braintrust Ensemble. Toronto 2002.
- Cavernous Adventure. Free jazz creative improvisation by members of the Edmonton Creative musician's collective.
Free Jazz and Creative Improvisation DUO recordings.
- Meanderings. Vibes and piano. Glen C. Halls and Mark Hundevad.
- Dissonant Misdirections. Free jazz duo improvisation with Mark Hundevad on Vibes, Glen Halls, piano.
- Flow. Soprano Saxophone and percussion. Adrian Halls and Glen Charles Halls free jazz improvisation.
- Descending Branch. Free jazz duo improvisation , vibes and piano. Glen Charles Halls and Mark Hundevad.
- Fleeting Thoughts. Glen Halls, piano, with Phil Dwyer, soprano sax.
- Stella by Starlight. Mark Hundevad, drums, Glen Charles Halls, piano
- Boop Thump. Piano, soprano saxophone, percussion. Free Improvisation
- There is no Greater Love. Piano and drums. Free and creative jazz approach to a jazz standard.
- Tempest. Percussionist Bob Fenske with pianist Glen Halls
- In the Balance. Vibes, Steel drum, with piano. Mark Hundevad and Glen Charles Halls
- Joseph Leads. Joe Sorbara, , Glen Halls. Toronto 2002.
Folk-New age jazz creative music performances and recordings
- Alpine Sky. Beautiful melodic folk jazz.
- Contemplation. Meditative folk jazz.
- Frozen Stillness. Piano and Violin with creative soulful relaxing improvisation.
- Gathering. Trumpet and Piano creative smooth-folk-new-age jazz with improvisation. Very relaxing.
- Pond. Glen Charles Halls piano with Daniel Lapp, trumpet. Creative folk jazz improvisation and composition.
- Quiet Brook. Violin, piano, trumpet. From the Alpine Suite.
- Simple Autumn Tune-Song of Change. Piano, trumpet, percussion. On a single scale/rag. Unique Beautiful performance.
- Spaceless Time. meditative creative folk jazz.
- Mist. Mournful melodic folk jazz featuring Daniel Lapp and Glen Halls
Creative Modern Classical Music performance recordings
- Low How a Rose E're Blooming, and Huron Carol. For Soprano and Orchestra.
- In the bleak Midwinter. Arrangment of the Christmas carol for Orchestra and soprano soloist.
- Aetheropyre. Night theme new composition by Adrian Halls
- Borrowed Love Poems by Don Ross. Tape, Dance, and clarinet with improvisation
- December 52. Ensemble Musirushi. Performance of graphic score composed by Earle Brown.
- Flight of Amnesia. by Don Ross, performed by Edmonton Art Ensemble.
- Leaves, by Thom Golub. A notated work which combines improvised and notated elements, with an emphasis on structured improvisation.
- Mondrian's Gambit for solo cello, by Glen C. Halls
Free improvisation creative jazz Trio recordings.
- Body and Soul. Reharmonized version the the Glen C. Halls trio.
- Pastoral Thom Golub Trio. Thom Golub, bass, David Hoyle, recorders and saxophone, Ron Dejong, drums.
- "Dog Eat Dog". A recording of Joe Sorbara(drums) Paco Luviano (bass) and Glen Charles Halls (piano)
- Alternate Realities. free jazz creative improvisation two drummers and electric guitar.
- Crazy man. Joe Sorbara, Glen Halls, Paco Luviano.
- Thom Golub Trio. Tides of War. A beautiful creative free jazz trio that seems to tell a story.
- Creative Mystics. Bill Jamieson, Glen Halls, Mark Hundevad. hardcore free jazz improvisation trio.
- First Collage. Deeksha records. Glen Charles Halls trio. Dale James, Tim Macintyre.
- Wandering. Brian Schulze, Ron Dejong, Glen Halls. Free creative jazz improvisation. 2008
- Oceans Away. Piano, bass, drums. Free Jazz Impressionistic creative improvisation.
Solo free jazz and creative improvisation performances
- April Rain. Glen Charles Halls, solo piano.
- Awakenings. Solo free improvisation on piano by Glen Charles Halls. Quite long.
- Django, by John Lewis. Performed by Glen Charles Halls, solo jazz piano and improvisation.
- Starlight Eclipse. Solo creative electric guitar improvisation
- Blues for Jay. solo jazz piano by Glen Charles Halls.
- Edward. Creative Composition Jazz piano solo by Glen Halls.
- Giant Steps. Solo modern creative free jazz improvisation by Pianist Glen Halls
- Love Again. Jazz Ballad by pianist Glen Charles Halls
- Gilllian. structured improvisation or free creative modern jazz ballad.
- How Deep is the Ocean. Solo jazz piano.
- Regret. Solo modern and somewhat free jazz piano improvisation by Glen Charles Halls
- Happy Way. Gospel and Afrian Inspired solo jazz piano by Glen Charles Halls
- Just a Trace. extended solo free jazz piano improvisation by Candian jazz pianist Glen Charles Halls. Edmonton 2006.
- lifechords. solo free jazz piano creative improvisation by Glen Halls. Toronto, 2002.
Creative Smooth Jazz recordings
- Open Arms. Smooth jazz. Glen Charles Halls trio from Album "Lafastafa" released 2008.
Creative free world fusion jazz recordings
- Lafastafa. Modern World Fusion Jazz featuring pulsating African Polyrhythms.
- Collage #3. Interesting collage of free improvisation with world music influence sequenes. Glen Charles Halls 1998.
- Bossa Fuschia. World fusion modern jazz. Very cool sounds with free improvisation for solos.
- Eastern Prayer. World fusion smooth modal jazz, featuring the Glen Halls trio with Dale James and Tim Macintyre.
- Daffodil. World Fusion Jazz in 5 featuring Sharmila Mathur on Sitar, Ojas Joshi table, Glen Halls keyboards.
- Quirky Bossa. Modern World Fusion Latin jazz with exciting rhythms. Really nice piano and bass solos.
- Charming Sharmila. World fusion jazz. Sitar, keyboard, tabla, drums, bass.
Rock Fusion creative jazz improvisation performances
- Dark May Evening. Braintrust Ensemble. 2008. free rock fusion jazz.
- Musings By Jayson. Braintrust ensemble. odd meter free rock fusion jazz
- In the Wee hours. performance by Glen C. Halls' braintrust ensemble, free rock-fusion jazz.
- Darker Evening in the Month of May. Glen Halls' Braintrust ensemble. Live Exploration May 2008.
- Four Rooms Incident. Modal Rock World Fusion groove with distortion. braintrust quartet performance at Kathedral Toronto, 2002.
- Ethereal Tamarack. Bob Fenske's Open rather than rull world rock fusion creative jazz trio.
- Midwinter Flame. Sorbara, Halls, Luviano. Toronto 2002.